WOW, yum. Cannot. keep. fingers. out. of. jar… This is a problem. At least I only made that much so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat an entire jar full.
If you haven’t ever heard of, tried, or made your own coconut butter you should put an end to that today. A lot of people who start paleo end up over indulging in nut butters because they are delicious and comforting and super satisfying. The only problem is that if you eat too much you will more than likely stall weight loss, may upset your digestion, and probably get too many omega 6s. Looking for a way to combat this without giving up your creamy indulgences? Coconut butter!
Although it is still rather high in fat, it isn’t nearly as hard on digestion and doesn’t have the high omega 6s that nuts do. Plus its a LOT easier to make, tastes like a major treat, and really satisfies cravings for something sweet due to coconut’s natural sweetness. Oh, and know what else has a natural sweetness that you should pair with coconut butter? These from my last post or like I chose, banana chips, for just a little taste!
You can make plain coconut butter by pulsing shredded, unsweetened coconut in your food processor until it resembles the consistency of creamy nut butter (will have a shiny layer of oil on top). OR you can try this naughty version for a special treat 🙂 It is addictive though, don’t say I didn’t warn you! Oh, and if you unfortunately don’t have a food processor I HIGHLY recommend Artisana 100% Organic Raw Coconut Butter or Nikki’s Coconut Butters!
It is Thursday and that means almost Friday and that makes me very happy! We are having a GIANT paleo Easter feast this weekend at my brother’s house and he will be doing a MAJOR guest post next week to showcase all our goodies! What are you doing for Easter, will you be eating paleo or taking the weekend off to indulge a bit?
Feel free to double, triple, or quadruple the recipe and make sure to taste test as you go so you can get the level of sweetness and chocolatelyness (not a word?) to your liking! I personally like mine a little less sweet and a litte more bitter (like dark chocolate) but if you want it to taste more like the candy bar then use more honey and less cocoa! Scroll down or click here for the recipe!
Sweet Potatoes and Smiles,
The Freckled Foodie
Almond Joy Coconut Butter
- 1/4 c Almond butter ( I made my own by processing sliced, roasted almonds)
- 1 c shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1-1.5 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-2 Tbsp raw, local honey
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- Pour coconut into food processor and process (scraping sides often) until the coconut resembles creamy nut butter and has a layer of shiny oil on the surface
- Add almond butter (could also use Hazelnut or Cashew… yum) and process for 15 seconds until incorporated
- Add salt, cocoa powder, and honey 1 Tbsp at a time to reach the bitterness and sweetness level that you like
- For reference, I like mine a little less sweet and more bitter and I used 1.5 Tbsp cocoa and 1 tbsp honey but The Dr. thought it was too bitter and not sweet enough, surprise surprise
- It will be a thicker paste at this point so add a tsp of coconut oil and process for 30 seconds, if still thick and not creamy like a nut butter add more coconut oil until it is the right consistency!
- Spread on sweet potatoes, fruit, carrots, your finger, a friend… wait, what?