Happy Sunday, friends! I cannot believe it is already the 8th of September… the end of this summer went waaay to fast, mainly due to the fact that my life has been flip-turned upside down (if you get that reference we are now besties.) I have been a bit absent lately because in the past couple months I have moved, been in two weddings, including one in Mexico, become newly single, started trying to figure out what I want to do with my life/career in the next several years, began looking at new apartments in Minneapolis, and a few other things I will get to in the next few posts hopefully!
I have come to realize that for or some reason 25 is the age where everything changes… some good, some not as good. This summer was the season of change in my life and the lives of most of my friends and I sure hope that all the decisions we have made are the right ones moving forward, but how can you be sure? Guess we just have to wait and see what happens and cross our fingers! Anyone else in the same boat as me right now? The saying “when it rains, it pours” should be the title of my 25th year I guess. Oofta.
Anyways, 99% of the time my breakfast consists of: diced zucchini, onions, peppers, kraut, sun-dried tomatoes, or a combination of a few of them sauteed in ghee and then scrambled up in 3-4 pastured eggs. If I am still a little hungry I may eat a piece of fruit like an in-season peach, half a grapefruit, or a few strawberries. But on occasion, especially on a lazy Sunday like today I like to switch it up! These Apple Cinnamon Pancakes are totally a worth-it splurge!
Fall makes most people think of pumpkin spiced everything, but for me apples are the king of autumn. I grew up picking apples down the street at our neighbors orchard (the road I grew up on is called Orchard Park Road) and then pressing them with my family with our antique apple cider press. We also always made apple pies, apple crisp, apple butter, ANYTHING apple 😀 I even worked at a local apple orchard one season that my mom and grandma have worked at part-time for as long as I can remember. Me and apples go way back.
Although they are more time consuming and more dish-washing intensive, they are totally worth it! I served mine with pure, local maple syrup from my CSA and homemade apple butter from my brother’s girlfriend, but these would be PURE decadence topped with this caramel from The Urban Poser that I have been dying to make! I also paired them with some local, pastured bacon and a few pieces of musk-melon also from my CSA! If you try the recipe please stop back and let me know how you like them! I always appreciate feedback from my lovely readers 🙂
Apple Cinnamon Paleo Pancakes (Grain/Gluten/Dairy free)
- 1/3 c Coconut flour
- 1/4 c Almond meal/flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 c full fat Coconut milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp pure Maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Ghee, melted (could sub grass-fed butter like Kerrygold but wouldn’t be dairy free)
- 2 medium Zestar or Pink Lady Apples, skinned and shredded
- 1/4-1/2 c Water
- Coconut oil for greasing the skillet
- Sift or whisk your dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, maple syrup, and melted butter and whisk thoroughly
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine
- Fold in the shredded apple and stir until it is evenly distributed throughout the batter
- Let the batter sit for 5 minutes and then add enough water for the consistency of your liking, I used a little more than 1/4c for the ones pictured
- Heat your skillet to 300 degrees and lightly coat with coconut oil
- Using a 1/4c measure pour the batter onto the skillet (use slightly less than a full 1/4c for best results)
- Let cook for 4-6 minutes or until the bubbles on the top pop and you can easily get a spatula underneath
- Flip and let cook for another 4-5 minutes
- Serve with maple syrup, apple butter, almond butter, a sprinkling of walnuts or by themselves!
- Recipe makes ~16 pancakes