Guess what time of year it is? MINNESOTA STATE FAIR TIMEEEEEE. If you didn’t already know, and couldn’t tell from my previous sentence, I adore the Great Minnesota Get Together 🙂
If you don’t believe me you can check out my post from last year or my Instagram photo from Sunday! I plan on going back for round two this weekend and will update ya’ll on the tasty eats I have while I am there. Not only is the food spectacular and mostly terrible for you (it’s once a year, paleo police), the people watching is absolutely stellar and can entertain this lady for hours on end. If you live in Minnesota and don’t go to the State Fair I don’t know if we can be true friends… it’s that important to me. If/when I ever move out of this state there is no doubt in my mind I will come back every August/September just for the fair!
Enough with my fair love, on to life lately. It can be summed up with two words: work and wedding. When I am not driving a giant truck with an Anti-Gravity Treadmill in the back around Minnesota and North and South Dakota I am doing wedding things with my besties. I know everyone says your mid-twenties are mostly wedding things every summer but gee dangit they weren’t kidding. A bachelorette/bachelor party complete with a party bus (and a pole 😉 ), then my best friend’s lovely wedding the next weekend, followed by yet another bachelorette party (with two wine tastings… ) and the summer is practically over! At least it’s fun things taking up all my time.
With all this busyness and traveling around I haven’t spent much time in the kitchen, but lucky for you I did make something really yummy to share! Prior to paleo life I used to be OBSESSED with Dairy Queen… it was a problem. I usually stuck with a few variations on a Blizzard ( vanilla ice cream with brownie chunks, cookie dough, and hot fudge) but sometimes I felt like a banana split! This Banana Split Chia Seed Pudding is about a million times better tasting (and better for you) and is only sweetened by fruit! Hooray! Definitely important to cut back on sugar after the Cronut, Deep-Fried Apple Pie with Cinnamon Ice Cream, and Sweet Martha’s Cookies I may or may not have eaten last weekend…
Don’t judge me! 😉
Banana Split Chia Seed Pudding
- 3 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 c Almond milk – or sub coconut milk for thicker
- 1 Banana, smashed
- splash of Vanilla extract
- 1/4 c Cacao powder
- 2/3 c Pineapple, cubed or crushed
- 2/3 c Strawberries, chopped
- *Whipped coconut cream, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, and cherries for garnish, all optional
- In a small mixing bowl combine chia seeds, almond milk, banana, and vanilla extract
- Add cacao powder and mix until well incorporated
- Place in fridge overnight to allow the chia seeds to absorb the liquid
- Add the pineapple and strawberries and stir to combine
- Divide between dishes and top with whipped coconut cream, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, cherries, or whatever your little heart desires!
- *to make whipped coconut cream place a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge then open the can from the bottom to dump out the separated coconut water (keep for smoothies) and scoop the cream into a bowl to whip with a hand mixer! Add a touch of sweetener if desired