I’ve been wanting to make these wings for several months now since I knew they would turn out fantastic, and I figured the best time to share a wings recipe was right before the Superbowl! They turned out about 10x better than I even expected and the sauce smelled amaze-balls the entire time it reduced… Once I took some pretty pictures my sister and I devoured them. Like over the top, sauce all over our fingers, stuffed our faces… It wasn’t pretty but it was delicious Her exact words were “these are finger ling-ling good” which is a Simpsons reference so if you knew that then we would be great friends.
If you knew me well, you would know my love for wings is deep and unwavering. In high school and on breaks from the early years of college my friends and I would go to Buffalo Wild Wings and order a TON of wings, all flavor varieties, and eat until we were stuffed and uncomfortable. These days I try not to get wings many places because they almost always have flour and because they come from unhealthy chickens and are mostly fat. Unhealthy chickens plus stored toxins in the fat = not a great choice. These bad boys have now become my go-to and I know will always satisfy my wing-tooth. There totally is such a thing!
In other news, I was out of MN for 10 days in a row in Denver, Napa Valley, and Lake Tahoe and coming back to double-digits below zero was a rude awakening! I also realized just how behind my life gets when I am away from home that long. It feels like I need at least another solid week to get everything back on track. At least I got to hit up Yoga Sculpt yesterday which made me very happy! If you don’t already follow me on Instagram you should do so because I put up a lot of pictures, and much more frequently than I blog! Check, check, check it out.
They are sticky, sweet, vinegary, and spicy. All the things a great wing needs! You could easily double the recipe (or triple!) to feed a crowd, and could keep them all warm in a crock pot to take to a Superbowl get-together! Just trying to help out
Blackberry Sticky Wings – Paleo, Primal
- 3lbs Chicken wings (local, pastured if possible!)
- Drizzle of Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 c pure Maple syrup
- 1/3 c Blackberry jam/preserves with no added sugar
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Ghee (can sub grass-fed butter)
- 3 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot or other Cayenne hot sauce (check ingredient labels!)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- While pre-heating, boil water in a large, deep pan to par-boil the wings
- Once boiling add the wings and boil for 8 minutes
- Remove from water and let drip dry for a few minutes before drying well with a paper towel
- Place wings on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet and drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Bake for 20 minutes (longer if your wings are quite large)
- While baking add sauce ingredients to a medium saucepan and allow to melt, then reduce to low and simmer while the wings cook, stirring occasionally
- Remove wings from the oven and flip, cook for another 5 minutes (again, add time if necessary)
- Place wings in a large bowl and pour the sauce over, toss to coat well
- I poured the remaining sauce over the wings before eating, it was a great choice
- Serve immediately and enjoy!