In November, right after I had finished my first Whole30 and first 30 days of paleo eating I decided to share my new found diet with The Dr.’s family when we went to Illinois for Thanksgiving. I made the Civilized Caveman’s AMAZING Banana Bread but used Sunbutter (made from ground sunflower seeds) rather than the almond butter it calls for. It was delish, however when I woke up the next morning to slice some up I noticed that the inside was BRIGHT GREEN. I was horrified and immediately jumped on his website to see what I did wrong! Lo and behold, after some research, I discovered that sun flower seeds and baking soda react and turn the baked goods green! It has to do with chlorophyl that remains in the seed and the chemical reaction during the baking process.
It got me to thinking about going back down to Chicago to celebrate St. Patty’s Day this weekend and how I should make some brownies… or greenies 🙂 I attempted to make them turn green, but unfortunately they never turned green this time! I think it is probably because they are SO SO SO chocolately and it trumps the green. However, they were decadently delicious so I just had to share!
After taking a pretty long break from baking seemed to take forever to make (even though in reality it was like 15 minutes total) but I am so used to cooking which is a lot more fast paced. Never thought I would start liking cooking so much more than baking! Coming from a former brownie/cookie/bar/cake/cupcake/muffin addict this is a pretty big statement.
I recommend making these, then eating them. Pretty revolutionary huh? And if you have time, or patience, or want a little something extra maybe slather them with this Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting from CCK!
Sweet Potatoes and Smiles,
-The Freckled Foodie
Dark Fudgey Paleo Brownies
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1/4 c sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 c honey (raw)
- 4 oz unsweetened, 100% dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 c unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- sprinkling of mini chocolate chips (optional, but Enjoy Life brand are dairy, soy, and gluten free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut avocado in half, peel and add to food processor
- Process until VERY smooth
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave or over a double boiler (stir frequently to ensure the chocolate doesn’t scorch)
- Transfer avocado to large bowl and add all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips
- Use hand mixer and whip until very well combined and fluffy, 3-5 minutes should be enough
- Spread batter into greased or foil-lined 8×11 pan (8×8 or 9×9 would work as well but you’ll have to increase baking time)
- Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips, as many as you see fit
- Bake for 26-28 minutes, remove when toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool before cutting
- These taste best chilled from the fridge and taste even better 2-3 days later!