Very excited for my first guest blogger on The Freckled Foodie! Even more excited that it’s the lovely Chelsea from Do You Even Paleo? who I happened to meet in real life last week! It is so much fun to meet someone in real life that you met online and otherwise would likely never have met. I know I have been blogging less frequently lately (working, traveling, back in school, etc) so I figured I would have friends guest post occasionally for me! I know you will love this one 🙂
Hello everyone! I’m Chelsea, the blogger behind Do You Even Paleo. Before we get to the recipe, I just wanted to express my gratitude and excitement about writing a guest post for Rachael’s blog! I have admired The Freckled Foodie since my early paleo and blogging days as a successful and semi-local (I live in ND) blogger with similar interests. I was thrilled and honored when Rachael asked me to write a post for her!
This is the first guest post I’ve ever done, so I knew I had to make something pretty awesome! Lately, I’ve been wanting to use my coconut aminos and fish sauce more, so I started brainstorming Chinese recipes. I tried thinking of something I really missed eating since going paleo, and decided I missed egg rolls. Long before going paleo, I had made homemade egg rolls and really enjoyed the experience…so how hard would it be to replicate the filling and do away with the wrapper altogether?
In short, the results were incredibly delicious and I knew I had hit the nail on the head! Simply enjoying the typical egg roll filling right out of a bowl was satiating and tasted fantastic. The best part is, this recipe makes a ton of food and the leftovers are excellent! Can you say meal prep? It’s also Whole 30 and 21DSD friendly. Hot damn.
You’ll notice this recipe calls for either dried or fresh shiitake mushrooms. I definitely suggest using dried, if you can. Using dried helps prevent the recipe from getting mushy, since the dried mushrooms will soak up some of the water released from the cabbage. I find my dried mushrooms by the fresh spices in the produce section at my local grocery store.
Chelsea is the author behind Do You Even Paleo. She enjoys creating delicious meals that promote health and vitality. When not experimenting in the kitchen, Chelsea can be found lifting weights, reading, playing video games, or cuddling with her cats.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- ½ medium head cabbage
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ c dried shiitake mushrooms OR ½ c fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 + 1 Tb coconut aminos
- 2 Tb sesame seeds, optional
- chopped green onions, optional
- Mix ground pork with 1 Tb coconut aminos. Set aside.
- Shred or finely slice the cabbage and carrots (I accomplished this in my Vitamix). Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tb of cooking oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger, stirring until they become fragrant. Add the shredded cabbage, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook for around 1 minute, until vegetables start to get limp.
- Push the vegetables to the outsides of the skillet and add pork to the cleared area. If your skillet isn’t big enough for this, simply brown pork in a separate skillet or cook in batches. Cook until the pork is browned, then add coconut aminos and fish sauce and combine everything.
- Transfer to bowls. Top with sesame seeds and/or chopped green onions (optional). Serve immediately, with additional coconut aminos if desired.