If you have been around these parts before you probably know by now my adoration for sweet potatoes. I mean, really, my parting phrase is “Sweet potatoes and smiles” after all
Before I started my Whole30 back in October I never really had sweet potatoes other than occasionally in fry form, which I liked a lot and always preferred over regular fries. Although sweet potatoes fries are salt and delicious, I came to the conclusion that they are much more delectable in their own, natural sweet form. I didn’t realize how much I loved them until I took the first baked bad boy out of the oven and was astounded at the natural sweetness that came out! With a sprinkling of cinnamon and some coconut milk drizzled over the top, I would say it is for sure my favorite food. Sweet potatoes for the win!
You know what is really unfortunate though? When you don’t bake them long enough or over bake them. They are also, in my opinion, half as good in the microwave. I used to make them this way every time until I realized how much better they are in the oven. Now I bake 3 or 4 large ones at a time and portion them out into Tupperware so I can have the amazing, sweet flavors with every meal if I want! I take one portion out, place it in a bowl, smash it with a fork (you can remove the skin if you like but I like the skin and it helps with digestion), sprinkle with cinnamon, and nuke for a minute or so. Then drizzle it with cold coconut milk and go to town. Heaven in a bowl, for reals.
If you eat sweet potatoes fairly often you have probably baked some, I’m guessing. However, I wanted to share my ‘best practices’ because each and every time they come out absolutely perfect and I want everyone to enjoy their sweet potatoes to the max… Yeah, I said to the max. What? I usually make lots at once and let them cool for 20 minutes or so, then slice them into portions and put them in the fridge. Sometimes I remove the peels and mash it all up into a container, add some coconut milk (canned) and pumpkin pie spice so it is ready for any upcoming meal (or when you open the fridge and have a spoon handy….) Scroll down or click here for the directions!
Am I the only one who has a semi-addiction to these? How do you like yours best???
Sweet Potatoes and Smiles,
The Freckled Foodie
How to: Bake a Perfect Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potatoes or Yams!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line cookie sheet with tin foil
- Scrub sweet potato under running water and dry well with paper towel, this prevents it from steaming rather than properly baking
- Poke all over with fork, get out some aggressions!
- Place sweet potatoes on cookie sheet and put in oven for 30 minutes
- Flip over and set timer for 30 more minutes, 20 minutes if they are smaller (shorter than your palm) Remove and scrape off any blackened crusties from the leaking juices (see picture)
- Let them cool a bit and cut them into portions
- Place them in a container in the fridge so you can have some delicious goodness whenever you want
- I highly recommend slathering them with coconut butter and sprinkling with cinnamon