You like spicy, right? Well good, because this one is for you!
I fell in love with Garam Masala spice blend a little over a year ago when I started reading about it on The Clothes Make The Girl and then saw a local blend by a well known chef at one of my FAVE restaurants, World Street Kitchen. Sidebar* if you live in MN you HAVE to try their caramelized lamb belly lettuce wraps, ta die for! Anyways, I brought it home and started adding it to various things and was immediately hooked. I love the spiciness along with all the combinations of flavors from the various spices included. If you haven’t tried it yet I highly recommend getting some and then making this awesome soup!
This week, while not working, I decided to roast a BUNCH of sweet potatoes to ensure I always had some on hand, which is a pretty standard thing for me, but then I got to thinking that I wanted to make a creamy, spicy, and rich soup with them! I added some coconut milk for creaminess, the garam masala for the spice and heat, and then obviously peppered bacon for the saltiness, richness, and an additional spice factor. BOOM, a lovely soup is born. I also threw in some fresh rosemary from the garden and a touch of lime juice to balance the flavors! I hope you love it as much as I dooooo 🙂 Bonus: If you have bacon without added sugar this recipe is also Whole30 approved!
In other news, I leave for training in California today and won’t be back in Minne until next Saturday. I will be staying in a small hotel room and thus will be unable to cook (sad face). This also means I won’t have any recipes for you for the rest of the week but will hopefully be able to post an awesome review, so check back! I am a little upset I have to miss some of the MN fall weather and scenery, as I love this time of year, but I guess Fremont, CA isn’t too bad an option either 😉
PLUS when I get back I am on the brink of perfecting a lovely fall-inspired cookie recipe for you lovelies so get excited for that! In the meantime I have been drooling over these for the past few days, so try ’em and let me know how they are!
Indian Spiced Sweet Potato & Bacon Soup
- 8 small or 4 large Sweet Potatoes or Yams
- 1/2 c Coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/2 tsp minced Garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 c Pork Stock, could sub chicken stock if need be
- 1/4-1/2 c Water
- 1 sprig Rosemary, finely minced
- juice from half a Lime
- 6 slices Bacon (peppered for more spice), finely chopped
- Roast sweet potatoes using my guide for the Perfect Baked Sweet Potato
- Let them cool enough to peel them (can do this ahead of time and put in fridge to cool)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and place them into a large food processor or blender
- Process until smooth, adding the coconut milk, stock, and water
- Add remaining ingredients except the bacon
- If not warm, reheat over the stove and add 4 of the 6 slices of bacon and stir to combine
- Serve with additional bacon crumbles over the top