It has been so flippin’ long since I posted a recipe I decided it was time to share one of my all-time favorite salads with you. I make different variations and have for a year or two now, but this version is the greatest one yet. If you aren’t a big fan of kale (especially in salads) or raw brussel sprouts (who is, really?) don’t be afraid to give this salad a shot. I promise it will be one of your new spring/summer faves and the best part is you can make a whole bunch and let it sit in the fridge for a couple days without it going bad like regular spinach or lettuce salads. No one likes soggy lettuce. No one.
It also gets even better once you let the dressing sit for an hour or 10 because the flavors meld even more. I bet once you’ve had some you will find yourself opening the fridge to nab a bite or two fairly often until it’s gone.
I also wanted to let you guys all know things might get a teensy bit slow around here for a couple weeks because I got a new role at work (while I was in Europe…nice to come back to craziness) and may be doing some traveling/hotel stays where I won’t be able to cook. Bummer. But I promise I will make it up to you with lots of yummy treats 🙂
Now back to this salad. One big suggestion I have it to go to your local Trader Joe’s (TJ’s) and pick up a bag of their organic, cut kale and their pre-shredded brussel sprouts so you don’t have to do all the dirty work. And by dirty work I mean chopping those little suckers. If you don’t have a TJ’s nearby then you’re out of luck… Or you can just use a food processor to pulse them 😉
Salads make me feel summery, so I hope this works to help you get into the sweet, summer mood too! Scroll down or click here for the recipe! Btw, I adapted this recipe quite a bit from another really good salad from Epicurious!
Sweet Potatoes and Smiles,
The Freckled Foodie
Kale and Shredded Sprout Salad
- 1/4 c Coconut vinegar (coconut aminos may work as well but I haven’t tried it)
- 1/2 c Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp Toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 large Shallot, minced
- 1 small Garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/2 tbsp Red pepper flakes (reduce or omit if you are sensitive to heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- Freshly ground Black pepper
- 1/2 bag of pre-cut Kale (Trader Joe’s) or 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 pounds total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- I bag shredded Brussel sprouts (Trader Joe’s) or 12oz brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated/shredded
- 1/3 c walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Whisk vinegar, olive oil (reserve about a tbsp), sesame oil, shallot, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a small bowl
- Set aside to let flavors meld
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat and toast walnuts, stirring frequently until fragrant (~3mins)
- Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper
- If you are going to eat within the next several hours toss the veggies with the dressing and nuts, if you aren’t going to eat it all right away keep them separate until you are ready to chow down
- If you do mix it all together it will keep well in the fridge for ~3 days but the kale will get softer, as will the nuts!