I know, I know… Another APPLE recipe? Yeah. I am an apple addict as documented here, so sue me! 🙂
But. You absolutely want to make this because I have made it twice in the last week and its all gone… Approved by me, my parents, and my guy friends who could all not really speak to me while they were devouring it. I also ate it for breakfast twice and that never happens because I am a 3 egg veggie scramble girl to the core. I have eaten a version of the same thing for breakfast 90% of the time for nearly a year now so getting me to switch it up twice in the past week? Yeah, it’s that good.
If you don’t have apples in your possession right now you should go get some and make this because not only is it really easy to throw together but it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside due to the copious amount of cinnamon, the sweetness of the apples, and the crunch of the seeds 🙂 Perfection in my book.
Speaking of books, I am starting a book club with my girlfriends (they don’t know it yet but maybe if they actually read my blog they will find out 😉 ). Why would a 25 year old woman want to start a book club you ask? Because reading is rad and its an awesome excuse to get together once a month and drink wine/eat treats/gossip that is sometimes hard to fit into a busy life. So if you are reading this and thinking “that sounds awesome!” let me know because then I won’t feel like such a strange mid-twenties lady…
Totally different note. I have this week and next week off before starting my new gig (which is in MN, not CA, the company is just based there) and it is very strange not to be working during the week… I have never taken a “staycation” so being home with “nothing to do” is pretty different. And by different I mean the best thing ever. Anybody want to just pay me to cook and blog and hang out? Because I’m totally on board for that…
I think that’s enough rambling for one day, so go make this delish treat and try not to eat it ALL in one sitting. It’s hard, but I believe in you!
Paleo Apple Crisp (Grain/Gluten/Dairy/Egg free)
- 3 large Apples
- 1 1/4 c Almond meal
- 1/4 c toasted Sunflower Seeds
- 1/3 c dessicated Coconut (finely shredded)
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup
- 4 Tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- juice of 1 Lemon
- 1-2 Tbsp Coconut palm sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Peel, core and quarter the apples then thinly slice them
- Layer the apples in a lightly oiled 8×8 baking dish
- Squeeze the lemon over the apples
- In a medium bowl mix together the almond meal, sunflower seeds, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine making sure to break up any chunks
- Melt the coconut oil with the maple syrup and add to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly
- Crumble the topping evenly over the apples
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar on top
- Bake for 45 minutes, let cool for at least 10 before serving
- Serve alone, with coconut milk ice cream, coconut milk, or almond milk!