Totally Homemade Kale and Spicy Sausage Soup
I made this soup guys. Like, from scratch! On Wednesday night I was craving rotisserie chicken and didn’t feel like making dinner so I picked one up. Paul and I attacked it and every piece of meat was quickly devoured. What remained were the bones and carcass. 40 days ago I would have tossed it, obviously. However this new cavelady thing caused me to toss it in the good ole crockpot, add some carrots and onions, spices, garlic cloves, and water. Then I turned it on low and left it for 18 or so hours to stew.
Guess what I got after all that time? Yummy homemade chicken stock! I was planning on saving it for later but since it was already hot I put it in a big pot on the stove, added carrots, onions, ripped up kale, more spices, and some sea salt. I had picked up some spicy, local italian sausage so I ripped open the casing on two of them, crumbled them into a skillet and browned them. Then, you guessed it, I dumped it all in the pot! I let that simmer for 20 minutes or so to soak up all the flavors and then served it up. It was REALLY good and I was proud 🙂 Even Paul liked it, kale and all!!!
To make the soup yourself, you can use store bought chicken broth/stock or make some on your own! If you buy it just make sure it doesn’t have any sugar added!
– in a big pot fill halfway with chicken broth, add any spices you like. I like italian seasoning, oregano, basil, sage
– chop up half an onion, 4 carrots, and rip up a half a bunch of kale and put everything in the pot
– while that is simmering, cooking the veggies, brown some sausage (can be any kind, but check for sugar!!!)
– once it is cooked through toss the sausage with the rendered fat into the pot
– salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the veggies are tender and the broth is flavorful
If you have celery, or a couple pieces of bacon those would be really good additions too! I will try both for the next go with this yummy and super filling soup! I actually wish I had some leftover because I am a little bit sick tonight and it would have been perfect 🙁